Of 30 applicants for a job, 14 had at least 4 years’ experience…
For this we can setup a table with 2 main categories: years of experience and degrees. These can be broken down further into:
1) Had at least 4 years of experience
2) Had less than 4 years of experience
3) Had a degree
4) Did not have a degree
In addition we are given the following information:
1) There are 30 total applicants
2) 14 applicants had at least 4 years of experience
3) 18 applicants had degrees
4) 3 applicants had less than 4 years of experience and did not have a degree
Let’s fill all this information into a table.
We can use the information to fill in the rest of the chart. Remember the “Total” label in each column or row represents the sum of the preceding two cells in each column or row, respectively.
We are asked how many of the applicants had at least 4 years’ experience and a degree. We can see from our table that the answer is 5.